Monday, September 30, 2013

OPorto





I wanted to post this picture separate from the one under "Lisbon and Porto" because it has a very different feel after a bit of old-fashioned darkroom work on it.

It was just after sunrise as I took a cup of coffee from my hotel and walked to the ocean side. An ancient stone jetty took me closer to the waves, rocks and the iodine-rich, salty effluvia of the Atlantic. There was nothing special for photography though, as the fishermen I had seen the day before were not there. I put my camera down, sat at the very end of the jetty and enjoyed my double espresso.

When I turned to my left, a fisherman was now walking toward the jetty. He was probably 200 meters away and walking fast. I had enough time to frame one picture through a Rollei Tessar 200mm.

Although it was shot on B&W 100 ASA film, I wanted to duplicate the feeling I had looking through the viewfinder. So I did a bit of darkroom work to brig out the rustiness the morning light gave to the old city and stone jetty in the background.

The foot step pattern on the sand tells a story, I think.

©Vahé Kazandjian, 2013
                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment