Tuesday, October 8, 2013

São Paulo, Brazil







During my first business visit I was asked to not bring a camera because it was strongly advised that I do not walk the streets alone. Especially with a strange looking camera hanging from my neck. So, I stayed in the hotel and went to my meetings as suggested. But I felt like I missed an important aspect of my trip by not seeing the city and walking its streets as I have done in most corners of the globe.

So, on my second visit I brought a Ukrainian Zorkii with me. The logic was that if it gets "permanently borrowed" by someone in the street, I will not feel as bad as if it were my Leica IIIF.

Again, for liability reasons, the inviting company did not want me to walk the streets alone. But knowing my desire to see the city, they gracefully assigned a guide to take me places.

I did not have much personal time and had only one evening free. So, for a couple of hours went to the central market and to the Armenian church. I felt uncomfortable taking pictures, as people were looking at me with discomfort, obviously a visitor, walking around with a guide. Nevertheless, I clicked a few times using zone focusing.

The first picture captures the feeling I had in these rough neighborhoods. This young man was selling used windshield wipers and his posture seemed to tell the story of a less than kind life.

The second picture is from just outside the market. The woman next to the post was "in another sphere".

As always the pictures were taken in B&W on Ilford 100 ASA film. 

©Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment