Saturday, December 21, 2013

Women in Arizona





I did not plan to take pictures of women during an Arizona trip, but the ones I chose ended up about women telling stories about Apache Junction,Tucson, Mesa and Flagstaff.

The first one was on the road from Tucson to Apache Junction. Deep gorges, cactus, desert, sun. This young woman was sitting at the edge of a deep valley and seemed lost in contemplation, smoking a "Camel"-- what can be better in the desert?

The second picture was at Mesa, at a horse farm where this woman rescued old horses. This one was her favorite and she agreed to a picture. There is a kindness that comes through.

The third is a true street picture, taken in a parking lot. As I was getting to my car I heard laughter, turned around and a second later wondered what I captured without having time to focus. I still do not know, but since the feather headpiece was on the car, where was big Chief?

The last one was at the University of Tucson. I liked the "Women's Plaza of Honor" but needed a story. After a few minutes of waiting, the man sat at the entrance and the women walked into my picture. Men stayed at the entrance of the Plaza, it seemed.

All pictures taken with a 1969 Nikon F. The first one with a Nikkor 200mm telephoto of the same era, and the other three with a Nikkor 50mm. The negatives have chemical damage and are scratched, but I thought still have a story to tell. After all who goes to Arizona and returns without pictures of cacti ?

December 21, 2013

©Vahé Kazandjian, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment