Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Rejected Pictures But Not Moments



It has been a very cold January on the East Coast of the United States. My old cameras cannot freeze and thaw without damage, nor can the 60 year old lenses. So, I have not taken many pictures this month especially since there are very few people in the streets and they are all bundled up!

But I keep on getting feedback from around the world, which is wonderful.  Among the messages I got last there was one question that I found challenging. It read, in part: “…and, if you were to describe a picture of daily life, without photographic glamour, how would it look?”

Hmm. While I do not think that there is glamour in my photography, I do indeed choose pictures that are technically with minimal faults and perhaps this selection bias does not truly represent what I had seen and taken pictures of. It is a fair question.

However, the reason why there is selection bias is often not a thematic bias but a choice by necessity.  Indeed, I have miles of developed negative strips that have either been damaged by chemicals during development, or where the pictures did not come out as I hoped they would. I do not usually print them, although I do have some “defective” negatives that I have printed because they remind me of a special moment and place.

So, the question I got made me wonder if I could make a collage out of these rejected pictures to show what I saw and why I took the picture, even if the quality of the shots ended up being poor. So here are a few of those.

The first one is from São Paulo. I saw the man walk toward old-fashion public phones and I could readily compose an anachronistic picture in my mind- a picture which could have been taken 50 years ago. What I needed was for him to make the call by turning sideways.  But it was not what he had in mind. Still it is the type of waiting a street photographer often does: I had a picture in mind but all the pieces did not come together.


The second one is from Paris. A very chique Japanese tourist caught my eye. I wanted the contrast between her impeccably coordinated attire and shoulder bag with the old buildings, a tourist with his suitcase, and taxi drivers. Just before I clicked she got something stuck to her shoe and she did a very “common” act of checking it. Not only it spoiled the picture, but I also got an uneven gradation from my lens right over her bag. Nevertheless, it is a moment from everyone’s daily life, even if they do not have the style of this young woman.



The third one is from Madrid. A street band in traditional attire was playing and I wanted to get an angle to the violin by focusing on it and blurring the background. Well, the player moved incessantly as he was in his “zone” while playing. And I did not get that steady moment for the shot I had planned.




The fourth one is from Vienna. A Turkish belly-dancer was performing in the street and she was quite photogenic. Still, I needed more than the dancer. So, I placed myself in front of her to include the crowd as the backdrop. She did not like it, and gave me a bad look… I caught that look but not the composition I wanted...



Finally, there are moments when a human is not needed for street photography. I was on an island in the Adriatic Sea off the coast of Croatia, and the scenery was quite monotonous. Sure, the ocean was great, but I am not a landscape photographer. At times I felt that the ocean was like a fence… And then I saw this donkey that looked at me in a way that I could almost understand! Yes, the fence, the ocean, the lonesome tree in the back….



January 29, 2014


© Vahé Kazandjian, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment