Sunday, September 21, 2014

UFOs: Where Did All the Bees Go?

I saw this man looking over the Inner Harbor of Baltimore from the top of Federal Hill. He was purposefully anachronistic in his clothing; I was too with my mechanical camera and film. So, a quick click as part of my daily photographic diary.




When I printed the picture, I noticed a “black spot” in the upper left quadrant.  A bird, I thought, but it did not have wings.  A plane, but it had no distinguishable features. Intrigued, I looked under my loupe.

It was a strange capture!  I could clearly see the antennae, head, legs and abdomen of a bee. Yet something was wrong with the relative size of that bee within the picture: it was just too big to be a bee! I estimated that it was at least 40 feet away from my lens, yet it looks the size of a small bird. 

Further, the focus seems almost appropriate, placing this creature in the same plane as the anachronistic man. I enlarged the “bee”—yes, it sure looks like a bee!




Is it a bee? Or, as the high-top hat of this man, it is a visitor from another time.  Another space?

I do not know. But the unintended captures through an old lens and 100 ASA film makes me often realize that it is not enough to rely on our eyes to see what surrounds us.  

September 21, 2014

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2014

1 comment:

  1. "Or, as the high-top hat of this man, it is a visitor from another time. Another space?"
    I love how you pleasantly make us mull over your phrases. Wow!

    ReplyDelete