Saturday, May 30, 2015

American Bald Eagle

Sometimes kayaking on a lake surrounded by granite boulders can be delightfully monotonous. And that puts me into a “zone” of detachment from all surroundings. Especially on a sunny day on Watson Lake in Prescott, Arizona. No matter, I always take my camera with me in case the rocks have a new story to tell.

On this end of May, while gently kayaking from cove to cove I noticed a silhouette atop the rocks. It was about 200 meters away but it was unmistakable: an American Bald Eagle was resting majestically on these hot rocks.

I was happy I had mounted the old 1960s Nikkor-P 180mm lens on my camera. Still, the eagle was too far for a clear picture, and the kayak too undulating to keep my hands steady. 

But I tried.

So here is what I saw first.


As I moved closer paddling gently, the eagle decided to take flight. I quickly shot two frames, hoping for the best. Here is the better of the two.



Upon closer inspection, I noticed his talons. I could not believe that they were so prominently captured. So I digitally enlarged the picture to show why the Bald Eagle is so unique in his posture and awe inspiring built.



Yet, he did not go far, and found a lonesome tree a few hundred meters away to perch and look at me. I paddled fast to get closer.


Finally, he flew away but not without allowing to take one more picture of the flight.


… I now wanted to get to shore, to my car, and quickly home. It was time to see what I had capture in that dark box of mine through the heavy, scratched but still “eagle-eyed” 50 year old telephoto!

May 30, 2015
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment