Sunday, October 23, 2016

Zimbabwe: Where the Wild Things Are

A friend from Denmark sent me the link to a documentary that aired on Danish TV a week or so ago. It is called “Bitter Grapes” and portrays the life of migrant workers in the South African wine industry. Many are from neighboring Zimbabwe, recently in the world news because of the death of Cecil, the black- maned king lion of Hwange National Park.

“You have been to both Zimbabwe and South Africa,” my friend wrote, “what do you think of this documentary?”

I do not know enough about the South African wine industry workings although visiting the various vineyards and tasting wines was a grand experience.

… I wanted to share a few memories from Zimbabwe and South Africa with my friend in my own way, through photos I had taken. The ones I shared with him were not published or posted before, but I now chose them because I took them more for sociological purposes than as a street photographer. Or, perhaps it is not really possible to pursue any street photography without placing them in a sociological context.

A tourist center near Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. No, it is not Cecil that the world associated with wildlife in Zimbabwe, but elephants. I have come within feet (in an open safari car) to elephants and lions in Africa, and found the big cats much more regal owe-inspiring. Yet the elephant remains the iconic representative of Africa and its wild life.



A note about monkeys. While staying in a safari lodge in Zimbabwe, we were instructed to lock the balcony doors at all times. The reason were the monkeys who have figured how to open unlocked doors and windows, come into a room and take all they can with them. In fact, many of the tall trees around the lodge have hats, backpacks, shirts and shoes hanging from their top branches.
This note not only stresses the point of co-existence with the monkeys but through the added “AND” by a vocal human, the stress between management and workers perhaps…



Social issues. I have seen such postings both in South Africa and Zimbabwe. It is not the type of advertisement one expects to see in Western countries.



Unique artistic expression. This art shop in Zimbabwe was among my favorites. All the artwork was based on the use of ostrich egg shells. It was beautiful and truly graceful. And thinking about ostrich eggs served on many breakfast menus, the use of the egg shells was both a sign of parsimony and creativity.



Bold expression, Cape Town, South Africa. This statue of a handgun with a knotted barrel was among the most vivid social expressions I saw in South Africa. There was a legend to read but one did not have to do so – the message was visually very clear and impactful.





The Africa one discovers, Victoria village, Zimbabwe. The entrance to the restaurant where food was memorable at every visit. Somehow this photo reminds me of epicurean moments.



And this sign, reminds me of my childhood around the Mediterranean, far away from Zimbabwe! Indeed, as a kid, the only shoes I had were made by Bata! Seeing that name there was like being in a time capsule. And then, how delightful it was that one can find many reasons to be at the Wild Thing Action Bar and have fun till you drop!



I keep very warm feelings from travel to that part of Africa.

October 23, 2016
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2016

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen a taxidermy elephant head. Not even in a photo. How sad it makes me. Would love to be in Afrika one day among the Wild Things.

    ReplyDelete