Friday, July 21, 2017

Anthropomorphism with Street Mops


Years ago, I took a photo of mops in Taipei during my early morning walk. Somehow the impromptu frame appealed to me from a cultural angle, as the texture of the background and the “attitude” of the mops did fit perfectly in the framework of Asian hospitality I cherished for decades. And I was not alone in that impression, as this photo became popular in Taiwan.


A few days ago I came across another street moment, again involving mops. As I saw them leaning on the chain, I smiled. Almost the same mops, but a totally different attitude! But I did not feel the calm I had felt when I clicked my 1969 Nikon F in Taipei – this time it was tenser. These mops seemed either exhausted or worried.




…When I looked at the new photo, I wondered: what I saw in those moments were they the attitudes of the mops or my own mindset?

July 21, 2017

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment