Sunday, November 12, 2017

Veteran’s Day Parade through the Eye of a 1954 Canon Lens


Prescott is a small city in Arizona where many veterans have retired. While parades are relatively small, the respect and devotion shown to veterans is vast and continuous.

I took my 1954 Canon rangefinder and one roll of ASA 100 film to capture a few moments. While there were hundreds of digital cameras shooting non-stop at any moment of the parade, I looked for my usual “people moments” to describe an angle other than what was going on the main streets of town.

After all I had rolled less than 20 frames of film in the canister and I needed to use each frame with a purpose.
Also, this time I did not use a yellow filter on the Canon 1.8 lens. I wanted to let the off focus areas be less sharp and dreamy. I also took the shade hood off to allow old-fashioned flare do its trick -- this lens can provide unexpected bokeh on sunny days.

The Super Man was surely picturesque, especially for B&W photography. But I wanted to have all in the foreground and those in the background as blurred as possible. So, I set the aperture to 8 and the speed to 125.


This next frame was almost perfectly constructed for me to just click. The man in the wheelchair has a Chicago Cubs sticker, his face is solemn, and in the background is the City Hall as a rectangular and natural frame. The parade participants are just behind the man but the old lens did its magic in making them feel distant and in a fog.


Needless to say that on such a day, patriotism is front and center to all expressions, speeches, songs and parade programs. I found this man’s T-shirt perfectly describe the atmosphere in town.


But, there is no street photography without a facial expression of surprise! This time, I had two faces look at me as if wondering who still uses mechanical cameras and film! 


These two lap dogs actually seemed to express the surprise of quite a few people who stopped me to ask “Is that really a film camera?” A young woman came to me and asked to see the Canon rangefinder. “I have never seen a film camera” she started. “My father had told me about these.”
… That made me feel real happy, indeed.

So, these photos represent what I saw at the parade. Oh, of course there were marching bands, horses, WWII Jeeps, and other old cars. But I am a street photographer of people, and had less than 20 frames of film to shoot!

November 12, 2017

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment