Saturday, January 20, 2018

Lisbon Daily Moments


Found a couple of negatives in my "forgotten filmstrips shoe box" and played with them in my darkroom this morning. They are from Lisbon and the first one may have a unique angle of view.

I took this one from my hotel room at the Alif Hotel. I have stayed a few times and liked the fact that it was close to the bull fighting arena, the Campo Pequeno. Actually in Portugal the bull fight is really not a fight for life as in Spain. It is called tourada and is an athletic challenge between the fighters and the bulls. But no bull is killed in the fight.

When I was looking out of my room window, I saw this man on the spiral stairs. The cloths hanging to dry, the stairs, the man smoking a cigarette and the overall feel of the building had simplicity and a mystery.



This second photo is also from Lisbon, but I do not recall the name of the neighborhood. This time the buildings are in full sun and the woman sitting on the chair always reminds me of the Mediterranean tradition of a neighborhood. Indeed, while Portugal is not on the Mediterranean sea (but the Atlantic ocean) it is in the Mediterranean region and historically has been influenced by Mediterranean cultures, food, lifestyle and yes, attitude.



That is in part why I have always felt “at home” in Portugal.

January20, 2018

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment