Sunday, May 6, 2018

Free Spirits and Synchronization


It is now spring again and around the house wildlife is active all night. My dog is old and he does not hear most of the noise deer, peccary, nocturnal birds and coyotes make. But he often hears sounds that do not exist, and barks at them at various times of the night…

So, I was up before sunrise because these non-existent noises woke up my old friend.  And I made coffee, and we went out as we have done for the past 14 years.

I heard noise in the brush. Came back, took my camera and was hoping to see coyotes. With the first rays of sunshine it was clear that mama deer was visiting us again. This time with two very young fawn.  This female has been around our house over the past two years. I recognize her from the scars on her back and abdomen on the right side. Maybe mountain lion attack? Anyhow, I have photographed her before and it was good to see her back.

I whistled hoping that all three of them would look at me in synchrony. Unfortunately the young ones just did what they please and my dog, somehow, heard my whistling and barked. The deer took off and I had only one photo from the encounter.



… Then I went to a nearby lake for kayaking with the hope of taking pictures of eagles nesting in the granite dells. But I did not see any. Instead, I realized that it was my day to pursue the theme of synchronization.
Indeed, there were three ducks feeding in the shallows.  My Nikkor-P 180mm telephoto allowed me to take close up photos of their synchronized plunging.
Well, just like the deer a few hours earlier, it was not always well synchronized. Two of them seem perfectly in synch, but the third was definitely a free spirit!

Here is proof one



And proof two of my above analysis.



Sure, there were people kayaking and cormorant flying





And the rock statue of the woman was always there


But I think that the fun I had today with my search for synchronicity was worth getting up before sunrise and getting the kayak into the water.

May 6, 2018
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment