Friday, August 9, 2019

When a 1970's Salyut S Medium Camera Returns to Life







My hope is in the daily appreciation of what I had appreciated before. New feelings or feelings of new discoveries have never taken the lead in my celebrating the joy of being in company with the quotidian.

So I bought a broken 1970s Soviet Salyut S medium format camera for sentimental reasons. I have used one before and wanted to hear that all-bronze curtain slam again with each tripping of the shutter.

A bronze curtain made behind the Iron Curtain…

Actually, these cameras are not difficult to fix if the problem is “frozen gear” rather than “broken gear”. All it takes is patience, lighter fluid, cotton swabs, and luck. I have brought many a mechanical camera to life again with a good clean of the hardened, glue-like lubricants that have self-petrified after decades of non-use.

The Salyut has a special history as it is said that all the pieces (steel, leather and bronze) were hand fitted and adjusted in the 1970s. It is also a remote relative of the Swedish-made Hasselblad a classic professional camera that often costs more than the car I drive. But most interestingly, the Salyut had 3 original lenses only – a 90mm, a 150mm and a super wide 30mm that looked like a military weapon and weighed about 2 kg… In addition of being crude in their functioning, these lenses had the most amazing background blurring ability I have seen in the hundreds of lenses I owned and used. The background (called bokeh) is often harsh, contrasty and like a Rorschach ink blot page…

So, I worked on the camera for a week or so and felt like it was working predictably to test it with a roll of 120mm B&W film. The most “expected” problem with these cameras is the spacing of the frames on the negatives – they usually either overlap (bad film holders) or are erratically spaced. That of course can be discovered only after developing the roll of film.

I finished the twelve 6x6 frame shots one can take on a 120mm film with this camera and rushed to develop the roll. After more than 50 years, I still get excited with the unknown associated with looking at a wet strip of freshly developed film holding it to a red light.

I was pleased – the spacing between the frames was very consistent, and the speed/diaphragm combination seemed to have yielded bright frames with the f2.8 90mm Vega lens. The photo shown at the outset was taken at 1/125 sec and f8, still showing strange background shapes even when stepped down. 

I am eager to try it with the 150mm Kaleinar and 30mm Arsat lenses soon.

August 9, 2019
©Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment