Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Mothers’ Day 2023 through a 1951 Canon Serenar Lens, Prescott, AZ.

 

 


On Mothers’ Day there was an arts and crafts show on Prescott town square. Appropriate for the day, most kiosks displayed Native American jewelry of silver and turquoise stone. Others had sculpture, photography and paintings.

For a street photographer, such gatherings offer the perfect setting to capture a few moments and also try lenses given the high desert bright sun and shades by trees and structures.

I decided to try a 1949 Canon rangefinder lens that I had added to my collection decades ago but never used. It is a Canon Serenar 35mm f2.8 lens that was produced only for a few years, hence it is highly collectible but did not gain popularity given its reputation for being “soft”. But the main reason I had not used it is that a 50mm lens captures the world more like I see it – whenever I used a 35mm lens I ended up cropping what I projected under my 1950s enlarger.

But, curiosity lead me to mount the 1949 design Serenar on my 1957 Canon L3 rangefinder camera and head to the town square.

Here is the Serenar on the L3



And a shade to minimise the softness of the photos given the desert sun



… I did not have a specific “topic” in mind for this photo session, but after few minutes of walking around I decided to capture the celebration with dogs being a central theme. Indeed, there were as many dogs as people at the town center, given the lovely spring day.

The photo at the top of the page was the first test of the lens. Given the transition of shade grades, I opted for an aperture of 5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/125th second since I was using ASA 100 ARISTA film. I did have to crop some of the crowd out when printing since I was still “thinking in 50mm” when framing the man with the stroller in front of the statue. I was hoping to get a shallower depth of field with an f5.6 opening but the detail of building is capture with surprising definition.

My following shots were of a dog that advertised hats for dogs in front of a kiosk selling that product. I first used f5.6 with 1/60th shutter speed, then f4 and 1/125th speed. The first combination yielded a more contrasty photo although the sharpness and detail seemed unchanged.



After a few shots of experimenting with shutter and aperture combinations, I ended up with my favorite type of street photography – a man and his dog waiting for a portable toilet to become vacant. I like these natural photo frames when light, structures and behavior come together. Plus, my dog theme was perfectly realised!



I had tried most of the shutter and speed combinations (even tried an f2.8 with 1/500th second just for the fun of it since 500 is the fastest speed on the L3) for shots within 15 meters. I now wanted to see how the lens does with longer distance shots.

I saw a group surrounding a dog that seemed to appreciate all the attention. I was about 30 meters away and did a zone focusing by setting the focus at infinity.



When I printed the photo, I realized that a better on the dog would have yielded a better story. But even with an extreme enlargement, the definition/sharpness of the happy canine is surprisingly good, although his eyes are blurred while his nails do stand out nicely.



Finally, I tried to contextualize the photos by taking a contre jour shot where the banner specified the day of the celebration.



So, how did the 1949 design Canon serener lens, which was only marketed in 1951 (my model) and 1952, do?

Better than I expected given the review it had gotten from users. It is a small, beautifully crafted lens that in my first attempt showed great sharpness and especially character. It does have that vintage lens rendition feel as well, which I like since I do not use digital cameras and modern lenses (a Nikkor lens from 1970 is as “modern” as my lenses go…) I will try it again now that I have a better understanding of its sweet spots regarding aperture/speed combinations.

As for using a 35mm lens for telling a story in street photography, the jury is still out. I think my favorite vintage rangefinder lens remains the Canon 50mm 1.8, which I have used for decades on the L3.



 

May 16, 2023

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2023

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment