Saturday, October 28, 2023

Rejected Photos But Not Rejected Memories

 




I was looking for an old published article in a box saying “Academia” when, a folder labeled “Yashica 14 rejects” got my attention.

Among the many vintage rangefinder cameras I used in the past decades, the 1960s Yashica 14e had the most imposing and fastest (f1.4) 45mm fixed, leaf shutter lens. Since street photography is anathema to flash use, the Yashica was among my favorites for low-light moments.  In the 1990s I took the Yashica as a backup camera on trips to Asia, Africa and India, even though I never knew when it was going to jam or break.

It never did, and I ended up trading it for an Olympus OM-1 that was smaller and more reliable.

I looked in the folder. There were a dozen of photos I had printed that were either developed or printed improperly. But I kept them, not sure why.

Well, now looking through them I realised that aside the memories, there were a few that had made no impression to my memory – I just could not recall where I took them! So, to reward the eccentricity of keeping “reject photos” I decided to give them a new life by posting them.

 

Hyderabad and Mumbai.  The opening photo is from Hyderabad. I do recall taking photos of cows, but not this one where a young man posed along. It is a common scene in the city that once was the nation’s capital.

The second one is from New Delhi, again one capturing a familiar scene.

 



Now for the unknown photos.

While the motorcycles in the above photo were (are?) stereotypical of the ones seen in India, the scooters in this one remind me the ones seen in Asia. However, I rarely have seen street dogs in Singapore, Japan, Malaysia or Taiwan. Maybe this one was not a street dog? Further, I do not recall security screens on windows in any of these countries. However, the blurred sign on the building may contain an Asian alphabet.

 


So, this one is a mystery.

 

Next, a couple of photos that almost seem from another photographer’s portfolio! Where did I take these photos? However, they do show the prowess of the Yashinon f1.4 lens especially the shutter speed. 



The second photo is focused quite well for fast movement (two acrobats jumping in concert) although it seems that I have tried to, in a very maladroit manner, dodge the lower half of the frame under the enlarger. Probably the acrobat was too dark given contre-jour lighting.

 


And finally, here is a photo I found in that folder, one that took me back at least four decades, to a time when beer cans had pull tabs. Indeed, it is a sign for Schlitz beer, somewhere on an old wall. Again, I have no recollection where and when I took this photo, but I am very glad I did. It is truly a testimony of bygone times. Schlitz beer, as it was once known as America's favorite working man's beer is gone. The sound pull tabs made when pulled off the can and then thrown on an ash tray, is gone. 

But I now have this photo to remind me of all that.



As I look at those once forgotten photos, I am glad that I kept then. When it comes to reliving memories, even when incomplete, there are no rejected moments.

 PS/ Another photo taken with the  Yashica 14e was posted on my literary blog, this time from Zagreb, showing the ability of the Yashinon f1.4 lens in very low light and very low speed, taken handheld 

  https://vahezen.blogspot.com/2023/10/when-buildings-swirl-before-sunrise.html




 

October 28, 2023

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment