Sunday, May 12, 2024

Using a Vintage 20mm Wide Angle Lens for Street Photography on Mothers’ Day, 2024

 



 

Most photographers will not use such a super wide lens for street photo journalism, and I have never used it. The reason is two-fold: to tell a story, there has to be a specific moment to be framed as the human eye sees it. A 50mm lens fits my inquisitive eye, although others prefer a 35mm. But not a 20mm which captures so much of the setting that the story gets lost. Second, a 20mm lens has too many distortions, lacks sharpness and definition throughout the entire frame, unless it is a Zeiss Flektogon.

But, since I was able to get my 1981 Minolta X-700 restored to function, I wanted to test a 20mm lens that I had owned for 25 years but never used it. It is a Soligor which is not highly regarded and was often thrown in as a bonus when film cameras were sold as absolute with the advent of digital technology. It is a lens made in Japan for an American company and aimed for amateur use.

But like many who use and collect vintage photographic tools, using what is said as “not worth using” is a challenge to take on. And I had yet another challenge in mind: the Soligor, as a manual focus lens, needs to be focus only up to 6 meters. Then you set it to the infinity setting and your cameras becomes a point-and-shoot one. And, given how much “territory” a 20mm lens covers on a 35 mm film frame, I wondered if I can shoot from the hip by pointing the camera in the direction of the story I wanted to capture. This is even better than using a waist viewer camera like a TLR Rolleiflex with which you still have to look down the waist finder and let people realise you are taking a photo. It is better because people then change their behaviour and the moment loses its authenticity.

 

So, I rolled about 10 frames worth of film into an old canister and took the Soligor to the Mother’s Day arts show.

Here is the lens made by Tokina in 1986. Note the lovely period neck strap on the Minolta…



 

It was a new experience, as I was hoping it to be. I ended up having 12 frames on that film strip, and finished shooting in a short time. It was a cloudy day, so I used f5.6, f8 and f11, with the focus set to infinity. But I had no idea what I was getting in the frame! Yet, I knew that people did not get spooked by having a camera pointed in their direction, if they even knew that I was releasing the shutter.

So I rushed back home to develop the film and see what I captured.

 

Since I did not what to expect about the performance of the lens, I was surprised how sharp the results were in the middle of the frame when shot at less than 10 meters from the subject using an aperture of f8.  Par contre, when using an f5.6 at a longer distance, the sharpness was mediocre at best.

So, I chose two photos to describe my experience.

The one at the outset of the page has both a story, and without knowing what I was framing (!) captured the environment of the story. There were two men, in photogenic Southwestern attire on a bench watching the people visiting the art kiosks. One man was smoking a cigar and was perfect for a photo. I was about 10 meters away and dedicated two frames to the moment.

When I printed the frame using a Soviet Industar 61 L/D 53mm rangefinder camera lens on my 1950’s enlarger, I was delighted by the composition. So, it took me a few attempts, using variable exposure times and dodging and burning to get the shades I wanted. Especially of the clouds.

For a comparison, I zoomed into the frame (by moving the enlarger lens higher) to fill the frame with what a 50mm lens would have captured. And that made me pleased of using the wide angle lens because the 50mm perspective captures less of a story.




It is also to be noted that in the above version, the gray of the shade given by the tall trees around the area does not provide the contrast and the focus on the man I had in mind. But the final version, the one atop the page, makes that man the center of the story as the man with the cigar is brighter and there is “sun” around his feet. This is of the because dodging that I did by shading the enlarger light over the man with my fingers for about 2 seconds, which also lightened the area around his feet giving the impression of a ray of sunshine. The entire exposure time was 5 seconds, with an added second of burning to enhance the clouds.

(I assume young photographers have rarely worked in a darkroom with film, so these terms and rather primitive techniques may be unknown to them.)

 

Ok, the next photo was taken with an f5.6 aperture and 1/125 second shutter speed. The woman wearing Western attire was about 30 meters away, and I wanted the dogs to be in the picture too. Again, I zoomed in to print what a 50mm lens would have seen to test the contrast and definition of the 20mm. Clearly, the Soligor is sharper at closer distances.



 

So, was it worth shooting 12 frames to get one good photo? For me it was the experience of using a new tool, the anticipated surprise about the results after shooting “blind”, and as an enthusiast about vintage cameras and lenses, the joy of using a forgotten lens.

Maybe I will try the lens again, now that I know its limitations.

 

May 12, 2024

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment