Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day in Canton, Maryland



A national and solemn holiday. Got on my bicycle, threw my camera on my back, and decided to enjoy the 90F degrees of the first unofficial day of the summer.

Around the bend, the majestic Pride of Baltimore was shipping out of the port. I could see a large number of people on board and assumed it was a Memorial Day tour of the historic sites around the waters of the Chesapeake Bay.  I waited till I could get cranes as a background to show that Baltimore is still a working port city.



A few miles away, stopped at the Korean War memorial in Canton. It is a memorial right on the ocean and I often stop there for respite during a bike ride. This time it was full of veterans, marching band, Irish pipe players, and a lot of memories. The ceremony was extremely well organized and the veterans of the Korean Wars still dry-eyed and most of them straight back when saluting the names of their brothers in arms who died in the Korean War.

Here is the picture I brought back with me. He led the show of colors, and was impeccably synchronized with the steps. When he decided to put his ceremonial sword back into the scabbard, it was a very symbolic act of peace.

At least it was for me.




May 26, 2014

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment