Saturday, May 17, 2014

San Francisco Honesty




… Where I am, most people sit on their balcony and watch the sailboats go by. I like to do that too, although having a book next to me does keep me from wondering when the next sailboat will fill its sails toward the harbor of Baltimore.

So, this morning I picked up a book I had read before. It was about uncertainty and truth. To be honest, I was not sure why I decided to read it again.

… The wind was just right, and the page I opened had a most telling example about ambient misconceptions and uncertainty. It read:

“While most of us believe that the sea “smells of sea” because of iodine in the sea weeds, the actual odor molecule is dimethylsulfide, DMS. “

Hmm, somehow that is not as romantic as iodine which I thought I smelled from the ocean under my balcony.

Then, I found the following statement about a certain law of contradiction-- quite obvious yet sometimes ignored:

”The Law of Contradiction tells us that a proposition cannot be both true and false.”

… I put the book down, waited for another sailboat, and then wanted to think of a simple example in daily life to represent this law.

And I recalled a picture I took in San Francisco. Voila! This man, in his honesty, had made it clear, with no uncertainty, what his truth was!

I did not need to read that book again.

May 17, 2014

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2014



1 comment: