Saturday, May 17, 2014

San Francisco Honesty




… Where I am, most people sit on their balcony and watch the sailboats go by. I like to do that too, although having a book next to me does keep me from wondering when the next sailboat will fill its sails toward the harbor of Baltimore.

So, this morning I picked up a book I had read before. It was about uncertainty and truth. To be honest, I was not sure why I decided to read it again.

… The wind was just right, and the page I opened had a most telling example about ambient misconceptions and uncertainty. It read:

While most of us believe that the sea “smells of sea” because of iodine in the sea weeds, the actual odor molecule is dimethylsulfide, DMS.

Hmm, somehow that is not as romantic as iodine which I thought I smelled from the ocean under my balcony.

Then, I found the following statement about a certain law of contradiction-- quite obvious yet sometimes ignored:

”The Law of Contradiction tells us that a proposition cannot be both true and false.”

… I put the book down, waited for another sailboat, and then wanted to think of a simple example in daily life to represent this law.

And I recalled a picture I took in San Francisco. Voila! This man, in his honesty, had made it clear, with no uncertainty, what his truth was!

I did not need to read that book again.

May 17, 2014

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2014



1 comment: