Monday, July 27, 2015

The Rorschach Test: Inkblot or Photoblog?

A friend told me that he had taken the Rorschach Test and discovered that he is among the 36% of the population in his outlook to things. “You could have just asked me,” I replied, “I would have told you that you have always been an outlier!”

We laughed, then we both wondered why people still believe that such a test can give insights into a personality.
“When you see a scene, do you see beyond the familiar shapes before you take a picture?” he asked.

Now that made me wonder!

… So I sent him these two pictures I had taken and asked him what he sees. The first is a sunrise on the Atlantic Ocean. What I saw there was the fluidity of the setting contrasted with structures of concrete and steel. Before I clicked I thought “predictability within metamorphosis”. 


I think that when rotated 180 degrees, this picture resembles a Rorschach inkblot given its symmetry.





This second picture comes even closer to a Rorschach inkblot. It started with a kiss but when I developed the picture what I first noticed was a “smiling baby between the lips”. 


And when I rotated the picture, the surprised father-in-law's face appeared at the top left with my name on his forehaead! Now I had an entire story....



Here is my friend’s response:

“The first picture tells me that you get up too early in the morning to walk your dog. The second is about a kiss.”

Hmm… Now I wonder if he is a true outlier or in fact an inlier. But knowing that he was worried that I would psychoanalyze him, I think in this instance he was just a “lier”!!!!!

July 27, 2015
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2015





















No comments:

Post a Comment