Thursday, May 26, 2016

“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday.” ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

I still remember the tanning smell of the leather case of my first “real” camera. It was a 1954 Russian/Ukrainian Kiev 35mm rangefinder, a perfect copy of the German pre-war Contax camera. It opened a new horizon on capturing candid moments of, first family and school friends, then of people on streets.

Then it was the magic of developing B&W negative film in makeshift darkrooms, which often were bathrooms where I had a 1950s Hansa Pro enlarger and 3 trays. That tight dark space had no light but running water. A fishing line across the room had my mother’s cloth hanging pins and the wet paper upon which, by sheer magic, faces had appeared in the developer solution hung for hours to dry.

That was more than 50 years ago. Since then miles and miles of 35mm and 120mm film have gone through my mechanical cameras. I have taken street photos of people in more than 25 countries, and have lost many an undeveloped roll to uncalibrated airport X-ray machines in the developing world.

Yet, the excitement of seeing that image slowly appear in the developer tray has never diminished.
That is why I was delighted when 6 months ago a prominent gallery in Prescott, Arizona invited me to display my photography upcoming July and August.

Here is the link to the Arts Prescott Gallery: http://www.artsprescott.com/ . Going to the “Events” tab and clicking on my name shows some of my most recent works.

…. Maybe the reason why I still remember the tanning smell of the leather case of my first “real” camera is because I still have that camera! And still use it by buying film from Croatia on the Internet…

May 26, 2016
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment