Sunday, June 26, 2016

Andrew Wyeth and Time Travel from Lisbon to Taipei



I have a special penchant to the paintings of Andrew Wyeth. While Christina’s World (1948) is his most well-known painting, I have been attracted to the more common daily life moments he noticed and celebrated. He is considered a realist painter and a regionalist who painted people and their ways of life in various geographic areas.

Very similar to a street photographer who captures moments in different cities or countries. A street photographer is rarely abstract – people are real and their behaviors realistic when captured on film.

… As I was hanging wet 8x10 photo paper on the drying line across my darkroom, I smiled at the realization that, as I use wood clothpins to hang them, I was almost hanging laundry the old-fashion way. The darkroom was my own backyard, my balcony, and my sun was a 20 watts red light!

Which made me think of a painting by A. Wyeth that I have always appreciated. It is the Light Wash he painted in Pennsylvania. It is a very visual scene and full of movement. Laundry is hanging on line to dry, there is a breeze, and a dog is sleeping in the shade of the laundry next to a wicker laundry basket. The latter is partly covered with sunshine depicting a warm and sunny day.

… So a theme developed in my mind, something like “hanging laundry and street cleaning.” I searched for photos I had taken with that theme consciously, or unconsciously, I had considered.

Neighborhood under the São Jorge Castle in Lisbon. It was one of my favorite walks going up the hill to the Moorish castle overlooking Lisbon and the Tagus River. The neighborhoods on my path were typically Mediterranean with their narrow streets, iron balconies, the aroma of fish frying all hours of the day, and especially the laundry hanging from these balconies. Being born on the Mediterranean, I have always kept a soft spot in my heart for balconies and laundry hanging on line…



Street renovation in Lisbon. Another moment from Portugal, equally nostalgic as the above photo but this time due to the 19th century architecture of the building. The sun was at its zenith when I was walking the streets in search for a moment to capture with my 1980s Olympus OM. This worker was taking a break from cleaning gravel in the construction area outside the building. He was certainly feeling the heat and his attire was to shield him from the sun. Yet, the moment was what my Olympus was hoping for – he stopped next to a street advertizing board showing a lovely model in minimal attire. Who had the right idea about clothing for noon time in Lisbon?


Taipei before sunrise. Another of my routine practices was to wake up an hour before sunrise and walk the streets of Taipei. Life never stops in Taiwan’s largest city as street vendors start preparing breakfast food almost around midnight. I loved being part of the sounds, smells and movement of Taipei. Another activity before sunrise is to clean the streets, the sidewalks and the entrance walkways of residences. I took this photo right after someone had used mops to clean the house entrance and had placed the mops in anthropomorphic postures. It looked like the mops, still wet and dripping water, were taking a rest.



… The wet photography papers hanging in my darkroom took me from Andrew Wyeth’s Light Wash in the back of a Chadds Ford house in Pennsylvania to Lisbon and Taipei.  
This time and space travel may not have happened if I was downloading digital images on my laptop and manipulating them with digital photography software….

June 26, 2016

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment