Thursday, April 20, 2017

A Physicist is an Atom’s Way of Looking to Itself – Niels Bohr



Living close to nature provides for unplanned moments of delightful encounters. This morning I was enjoying my first cup of coffee when a mamma deer and her two fawns came to say hello. It was simple, short and without pretension.  I held my 1960s Nikkor-H 180mm telephoto steady waiting for all of them to look at me.

And they did.


… As a street photographer, I avoid taking photos of persons looking at me. It defeats the purpose of capturing folks in their natural environment and un-influenced attitude. But, there are encounters when having the subject(s) notice my presence can add to the story I try to capture with every click.

Here is a couple:

Downtown Prescott, Arizona. It was a reenactment of cowboy shoot-out and all actors were dressed accordingly. I wanted to have the lady look at me as it added more unscripted liveliness to the staged movements.



Santa Cruz, California. This man was, well, “Soo California!” The young man jumping the fence in a wet-suit to catch some waves was as well, but I wanted a reaction from others walking the ocean side. The women on the left provided that context.


So, as in any form of art, there are no prescriptive rules to follow all the time: if the subject looks at you and adds to the story, go ahead and click!

April 19, 2017

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment