Thursday, May 4, 2017

Photographer Reflections About Image Reflections

Sometimes, details of an environment get my attention more than the larger frame of vision. I cherish finding shapes, colours and expressions where others may see the ordinary or notice nothing at all.

“Exhibit A” to make my point:
I recently posted one set of photos to make this point (https://liveingray.blogspot.com/2016/12/neuroplasticity-and-pursuit-of-story-to.html)

.. I came across a photo I took possibly 20 years ago in Singapore. It is one of a taxi driver taking a nap given the heat and possibly lack of customers. What has always “bugged” me about this photo is the reflection in the glass of the driver’s feet. Yes, most people will not notice it when looking at this photo or care as much as I do about the following:
The reflection of the left foot seems as one would expect, but the right foot seems “unreflected”! It is in the same posture as the actual right foot of the driver. In short, the image of the two feet seems to go in opposite direction.


And the cropped section showing the feet and their reflection in the glass at left. Also notice that in the glass, you can see the mouth of the driver showing how deep he was asleep! Interestingly, the reflection of his face is also in an unpredictable direction. Hmm, is this a double reflection from the glass panels on his right? But then how come his left foot is reflected differently from his face and right foot? 



“Exhibit B” to further stress my point:

.. I was having my morning coffee when the first rays of sunrise fell upon the fireplace in the living room. The shades were such that I immediately saw a lion’s head/face on the top log. A minute later the light changed and it was just a plain log again!


And the cropped section in case "my lion" goes unnoticed...



Ok, I know the interest in noticing such shapes is a bit like looking at clouds and seeing things. As I kid I often enjoyed that exercise. Maybe it is the dreamer in me; maybe it is something much more serious to worry about! But my blog is now read 34,000 times by visitors from more than 50 countries, so I am hoping that someone would let me know why the driver’s feet are unusually reflected!

… Of course I am worried that someone would also analyse my inclination to see shapes in every aspect of daily moments and open the flood gates for much more worrisome things!!

May 4, 2017

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment