Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Unissona

I had not seen butterflies mate. Until this morning when I sat on my balcony to have my first cup of coffee. I saw one butterfly flutter it wings and soon another one landed next to her (I assumed it was her, initiating the nuptial dance.)



So I watched.

Given the diametrically opposed posture, I wondered if they would recognize each other after all was over. Would she have noticed the scar on his forehead? Would he remember her smile?
But perhaps butterflies do not worry about such things.



… Of course, this made me think of some photos I had taken.

Ferrara, Italy. I am quite certain butterflies would not recognize this posture…




Baltimore, Maryland. Nor this one, for sure




Lake Anna, Virginia. My favorite relaxed mood of my dogs next to the lake.




Somewhere in Arizona. How would one explain this to butterflies?




And then, I thought of a photo I took while kayaking on the Chesapeake Bay. From the minuscule butterflies to the enormous war ships.



And I recalled lines from Rumi:
                                           “It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.”

June 21, 2017

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment