Friday, June 16, 2017

Anachronism: From China to Europe


The definition of anachronism (derived from the Greek anachronous) is a depiction of running against the grain of time. If for example, an artist paints Julius Caesar holding an iPhone, it would be anachronistic.

I recently saw a scene (or a frame as a photographer sees all around him) which immediately made me think “this is anachronistic”. So I pressed on the shutter of my 1954 Canon L3 rangefinder. In some ways, many think of me as anachronistic—I carry a Smartphone, the frame of my spectacles was made in the 1940s, and I use B&W film in 1950s mechanical cameras.

But I always make the point of clarifying that I use lead-free gasoline in my 11 year old car….

Here is that photo. The Harley Davidson sign is the iPhone that would made a painting of Julius Caesar anachronistic.



… This intrigued me to look into previous photos I had taken. There are quite a few. Here is a sample:

China. When I saw this man, I immediately noticed his earplug.  Was he a monk listening to transcendental music, or secret police? No matter, he was against time.



Austria. This street sign in Vienna could not escape my vision. Anachronous?



Morocco. I saw this broken bottle embedded in the parched desert sand. Did an Italian rosso belong to the time frame of the changing dunes?




Italy. A street mime in Florence. The stones, the toge, and the angel wings connote a moment in history. Yet he was smoking a Marlboro and wearing high-top sneakers.



… Which made me thing: is anachronism a purely literary and artistic notion? Do we ever let the past go? Therefore, is painting Julius Caesar chatting on an iPhone so unreasonable?

June 16, 2017

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment