Sunday, June 10, 2018

Fishmongers, London, UK


A friend from London, UK sent me the announcement for a fish dinner upcoming July reminding me that a decade ago we had gone to a National Federation of Fishmongers.


“Time to do it again?” he asked.

If I recall correctly, that competition was at Billingsgate Market in London, and the first such competition I witnessed.  Large and very fresh salmon were filleted with the artfulness of a sculptor’s hands and the dexterity of a surgeon. All bones were extracted and every step of the process was closely observed and evaluated by professional monger-judges and after a number of rounds, a championed declared.

Of course we had the freshest salmon I have had after the competition was over.

… Well, that may have been a decade ago, but I am quite organized in keeping my printed photos in accessible places, and my negatives well annotated.  I recall having my Nikon F with me on that trip so looked in printed photos in the shoebox that says “Nikon F”!

Et voilà, I had kept a less than perfect photo in that box.


But it will do to prove to my friend that I had not forgotten about that day.

June 10, 2018
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment