Saturday, June 30, 2018

The 4th of July Celebration in Prescott, an Arizona Cowboy Town




Downtown Prescott feels like a metropolitan area on the 4th of July and Christmas. The rest of the year, there is plenty of parking for cars, the same people walking their dogs, and a slow pace I have learned to love and cherish.

So, on this 4th of July, I wanted to stay away from taking “parade pictures.” At some point all parade pictures are the same – people waving flags, smiling for hours, children eating candy wrapped in patriotic colours, and veterans of past wars wearing hats identifying the war and the battle they were in and survived.

Instead, I looked for the frontier spirit and the cowboy identity.
To do so, I cleaned a 1960 Nikkor-Q 20cm telephoto lens I had not used for many years. It used to be my favorite travel lens on a 1969 Nikon F since the 20 cm lens is very light given its aluminum construct and simple 4 lens group construct. Amazingly this lens takes contrasty and good definition photos.

… Prescott, given its high altitude of 5,500 feet and lack of any major industry, has one of the best air qualities in the country. So, when I saw this woman, dressed as the Statue of Liberty, I wanted to change her political message into a literal one. I waited a second to have the cigar store as the backdrop to frame this shot:





As expected, there was a group of men, in mountain man attires and riding their horses and mules. In this instance I wanted to contrast the modern city to the mountain man, and used the street lights as the backdrop. The lens was opened to f5.6, at ASA 100 and 1/125 second shutter speed:




And to finish, man and his horse surrounded with cheering crowds:



Sure, there were old cars, politicians asking for votes, and a parade of 1940s farm tractors running like Swiss watches. I just wanted horses and mules to keep an image that one day will be overtaken and overcome.

Till then, this horse will have his parade and his smile!




PS/ I posted the digitized photos in original size to show the prowess of the 1960 Nikkor-Q. To see the entire photo click on it or slide the bar .


June 30, 2018
©Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment