Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Storytelling Versus Technical Correctness: the One-frame Compressed Movie of Street Photography


There is an increasing interest in taking pictures with all types of digital gizmos. The days of film photography seem to be increasingly cherished in portraiture where the tonal range of digital photography still lacks that je ne sais quoi.

Indeed, our reality is now intricately related with taking pictures of everything, all day long. Of places, signs, computer screens, food plates, dogs, cats, and of course when all creativity takes respite, of ourselves! Taking selfies may not be a new behavior, but it is now part of how we communicate by posting our own pictures on social media sites. I found this delightful archival photo (no copywrite specified) of a historical selfie:



So, is it ok to tell a story without excessive concern about the technical correctness of composing, focusing and light characteristics? Of course the last two technical characteristics of a photograph are today mostly left to the microchips in our disposable cameras. But for people like me who still use film, repair their own 50 or 70 year old mechanical cameras, do not own a digital picture-taker, and spend time in a darkroom they cherish, the focusing is the most critical activity. Indeed, a story in street behavior of people is elusive – in a split second all changes (light, composition, and the behavior itself) so if one takes a couple of seconds to focus, then there may be no story left to tell.

Except in the photographer’s memory of the moment he/she did not capture.

So, here are a couple of illustrations through photos I have taken.
A.      Focusing. I took this photo on Bilbao, Spain with a 1969 Nikon F sporting a same age 20 cm Nikkor-Q telephoto. The street telephones were on each side of a magazine cover advertisement, and I saw a woman put a few coins in the phone while the man was already chatting. I wanted to capture the moment of both phone users being on the sides of that poster and did not trust that taking my time to focus perfectly would have allowed for the action in this otherwise static composition.





B.      Framing. This is a moment from Times Square, New York. It was a rainy day and I wanted to contrast the folks holding umbrellas with the “Steam Heat” mural advertisement of Ann Reinking and Bebe Neuwirth in Fosse. A couple walked into the frame composition without holding umbrellas but to capture their passage I had to sacrifice the better composition of the mural advertisements.





C.      Light. I took this photo in Ferrara, Italy. I had my 50mm Nikkor lens wide open to 1.4 as it was almost evening with practically no light. This man walked passed me and I noticed his face being painted like a clown’s. The moment I put the Nikon F to my face he looked into the mirror of a parked motorcycle to touch up his facial painting. The shallow depth of field testifies to the aperture and the blurred profile of a woman in the background provides a sense of movement.



So, do these photos tell a story? They are not photojournalistic as there is no unfolding story behind that one frame. They surely are not technically perfect, in part due to the tool I used – 1960s mechanical film camera and manual focus lenses.

With all the criticism one can justify having of such photos, still when I see the white photographic paper metamorphose into a photo in the tray under a red light, I feel good that I did not worry about the technical correctness and just took the photo!

April 10, 2019
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment