Thursday, September 26, 2019

One Flew Over the Beach in Capetown, South Africa






This morning I posted a few photos of wildlife from the Kruger National Park in South Africa after going through some photos I had left unpublished.

Among these were also photos from Cape Town. One photo has a special place in my memories of that town – I was taking photos of folks on the beach with a Minolta Autocord medium format TLR camera. The 80mm lens is fixed so all photos had to be taken from a close proximity.

In order to not identify people, which is always a challenge to a street photographer, decided to take contre-jour shots thus having the sun behind the subject hence leaving their faces obscured. I took a few, but nothing special. Then I saw this couple having lunch sitting on the grass near the beach and from the side of my eye saw a lady selling hats. She was dressed in traditional African clothing and wearing a straw hat advertising her merchandise.  I focused a meter or so behind the lunching couple and waited. Sometimes one has to anticipate scenarios based on the environment and hope that the one clicking chance he has to capture the scene will be timed just right.

So, the hat lady passed exactly behind the couple as I expected. And I thought I clicked just at the right moment.

When I developed the film, I saw a strange shadow above the hat selling lady’s head. Intrigued, I decided to print that frame even though there seemed nothing very special in the captured moment.
To my surprise, my timing for depressing the shutter had been better than I anticipated. Obviously a pigeon flew over the scene at that very moment and I did not notice it. Here is the cropped and enlarged unanticipated inclusion to the otherwise well choreographed scene I had organized:



Now this otherwise pedestrian photo had that je ne sais quoi that makes street photography so unpredictable and sometimes because of that, delightful.

September 26, 2019
©Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment