Sunday, September 29, 2019

Victoria Falls, Elephant Soup and a Kodak Moment in Zimbabwe






These are the photos from Zimbabwe, mostly from Victoria Falls and surrounding area that I wanted to bring out of the darkness of my classified files. They are not the artistic photos I try to capture about people and their environments, but I think these is some humour in these photos worth catching a smile through.

In fact, these are no people in these photos, so that is in part why, as a street photographer, I classified them away.

Ok, the opening photo is that of Victoria Falls. Of course it is a very large area and these are thousands of angles to look at the falls, but this one has enough of dramatic shades, clair obscur and effaced corners that I decided to start this entry with its panoramic spread.

Of course, most of the food is meat and most of the meat is game in Zimbabwe. Sometimes it is game that we had seen roam around the street during our own walk! Here is a photo I previously posted of a warthog near our hotel



And here is the menu from that night…


But I had never seen a recipe for an elephant soup! Here is the humour printed on a chef’s apron:

At closer look, one can see how important it is to follow the steps. I was fascinated by the addition of a rabbit…



But, if one does not have a refrigerator large enough to store all the ingredients, one can easily try that soup here…


With the local beer, of course.


Finally, a moment of nostalgia for a photographer who still uses film. Indeed, Kodak film is history for many, and for the young generation of all things electronic, a total unknown. I was delighted to see the Kodak sign still standing in this weathered bus stop.



September 29, 2019
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment