Sunday, August 18, 2013

Le Petit Prince of Columbia, Maryland




There are books where we have found a piece of ourselves, but even more, that we have rediscovered ourselves when we read them again, years later. Some of these books seem simple at first; a fairy tale, a story easily read. Then, we pass through life, through streets and people, and one morning we wake up with the name of a book on our mind. A book we have read many years ago. We read it in French, in English, in Mandarin. And we look for that book once more.

Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is one of these books. It is philosophical, it is dreamy, it is about love, but mostly it is about responsibility. In short, it is pure Zen.
I re-read that book in French many times, sometimes by pure chance of finding it near me, or after looking for it. The line that has stayed with me is: "Men have forgotten this truth." said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible. forever, for what you have tamed."

I took this picture on a cold, snowy day with a Pentax 1000. The moment I saw the dog getting closer to the young man, I thought about the fox and the Little Prince. And I waited for the millisecond when the "fox" would tell the line above. I am sure that is exactly what it said!

©Vahé Kazandjian, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment