Monday, August 12, 2013

Kisses and Cities










It is impossible not to stop and notice a tender embrace when walking the streets. The challenge for the photographer is not to be a voyeur, but find the angle to enhance the context of a street picture by including the kiss.
I rarely use any lens other than a 50 mm for 35mm format, although when shot on medium format film (hence 80 mm lens), I can enlarge parts of the negative during darkroom work to the limits of a frame shot with a telephoto lens. In my world of old-time photography, darkroom work is what transforms a picture into a photo worth framing.

I decided to do a small collage of kisses from different cities. My goal was to show a characteristic street kiss representing the mentality of the country. Did I succeed? You decide.

The last picture is a bit of a challenge to decipher at first look. I took it from the cable car going up the mountain at Mont Tremblant. We were passing over expensive summer homes with swimming pools and I saw this couple in a romantic mood, in the middle of the pool. Consider it an aerial picture, and if you look closely going right to left, you will notice the head, shoulders and the arms of the woman. Her legs are reflected under the water. I like this picture for its visual challenge and it made it as the cover of my last poetry book "Aromance: The aroma of romance".

From top to bottom the cities are: Ferrara, Barcelona, Paris, Oporto, Vienna, New York City and Mont Tremblant, Canada.

©Vahé Kazandjian, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment