Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Tarass Bulba Lives in a Desert Lake

Understanding the interplay between light and resulting shadows is the essence of photography, especially when in B&W. Lately I am fascinated by the importance of timing when it comes to the light that shines upon rocks. While in street photography of people the story is always the driving incentive, I am experimenting with finding rocky structures that have an anthropomorphic character when the light is right, and hence can tell a story as well.

So, again, when I was kayaking I looked for such rocks. The perspective is very different when taking pictures from the water level. And it is a new “game” for me to move around the rocks in the kayak to find funky angles!

Here is the pensive lady looking upon a shallow bend of the lake. She has a shawl and her arms crossed.



My favorite was this picture. From my angle it looked like a baby, almost in fetal position, kissing an eel on its left! Too much imagination? Well, let me go further – the eel has the face of a man with an imposing mustache! For a second I thought of a drawing on a children’s book cover of the Cossack Tarass Bulba I had read a century ago! Here are baby and the eel:






And Tarass Bulba as I saw it!




At the end of the morning, the eagle that I had photographed before came back to say hello. I think he lives in those rocks. This time I did not have the same excitement as before and I took my time for a well posed shot.



When I was pulling the kayak out of the water the sun was high in the sky and there were no shadows on the rocks. The lady, the baby and Tarass Bulba had transformed themselves to plain piles of stone…

September 23, 2015

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment