Saturday, December 26, 2015

Reverse Synesthesia in B&W Photography


A friend sent me an end-of-year note which, in addition to the rather boring compte rendu of all the things he had done during 2015 ended with this sentence:

And, just to see how much my optic has changed, I re-read Nabokov’s Lolita. You know, I was struck by the colours in his words. I wonder if to a B&W photographer like you that means anything…”

Pithy. Yet I was interested in his comment, and instead of rereading Lolita, decided to read about Nabokov.

… I knew about his passion for catching butterflies and studying them. What surprised me is that he also was among the few recognized to have synesthesia, a neural crossing of the senses that makes one “hear” colours, perceive words and numbers in a spectrum of hues and textures, and ,my favorite, “smell” sounds. It is said that he associated the colour red with number 5, and he could smell sounds when in the field chasing butterflies.

Now my friend’s comment intrigued me even more, and I wondered if there can be a reverse synesthesia, where one sees all colored things in B&W or in shades of gray. I searched for this diagnosis but could not find it. So, perhaps I just came up with a new term for how a B&W photographer sees the moment, framed in his viewfinder.

Indeed, at least in my case, I do “see” the printed version of the photo just before I take it. I do not see colours, just a spectrum of gray. And that is why I might wait for the light to change if I have the luxury, or decide to do some darkroom work later on. Because I had already decided what shades of gray there will be in the photo just before I depress the shutter.

I once read that “expertise” is one’s ability to bring together dimensions of a thought or the strategy of an action in a way that others do not perceive it. So in some ways it is an enhanced perception capacity when just observing a chaotic (or ordinary) scene, one can create order, and find a story to tell.

So, went back and tried to find a couple of examples of my perception bias.

Taipei, Taiwan



I was walking when I saw this sign “I Think So Restaurant...”! Clearly it meant something else in Mandarin and the English translation was more than funny. Yet, the story for me was the humble building front with no resemblance to a restaurant. However, the building was dark, monotonous and the concrete highly weathered. The massage parlor sign next to it was bright, smooth, and much more inviting than the restaurant! I immediately opted for contrast, framing the continuum of the shades of gray and telling a travel story.

Barcelona, Spain



This man was a class act as a beggar. Actually I did not think of him as a beggar when I noticed his jacket, hat, cat in his lap, and dog next to him. Perfect combination of texture, shape and contrast. But the story was in the book he was reading – Agatha Christie was on the cover! I have to admit that I have not seen a street beggar ever read a book and be dressed so well (I was wearing jeans and an old T-shirt at that moment…) and certainly not to read Agatha Christie mysteries.  When I depressed the shutter, I recall thinking “Is there really a book inside that cover?”
But did not want to spoil the story by checking that out….

December 26, 2015
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment