Sunday, December 20, 2015

Spanish Walls



2015 is nearing its end, and new promises will soon welcome yet a new year. As I look back to more than 40 years of travel I enjoyed around the globe, I am reminded that many of the countries I knew as most welcoming, now have walls around them.

Here is a picture I took in 2000 in Bilbao, Spain. I was looking through the view finder of my 1948 Rolleiflex TLR to frame the calm posture of this man with the backdrop of arches and palm trees. I waited for a few minutes hoping someone else would walk into the frame to contrast the man’s posture, perhaps by rushing to catch a taxi or being late to a meeting.

Instead, this dog came out of nowhere, stood up on his hind legs and looked at me. It was that split second of the unexpected I was waiting for.

Today, as I think of walls, I wonder who is behind the fence: the man or the dog.

December 20, 2015

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment