Thursday, December 29, 2016

Nullus Est Locus Domestica Sede Jucundior. (Cicero)




Sometimes, a street scène brings back a feeling associated with times unknowingly associated with that scene. I see a man carrying his violoncello on his back in front of the music hall, and I think about being home. Next to a fireplace, wearing old slippers, my old dog snoring next to me on the floor.

The influence of Cicero on language and philosophy is immense. His introduction of neologisms from Greek to Latin has shaped our present day ability to expand concepts and make them practical. My personal favorites are the concepts of humanitas and qualitas which Cicero translated from Greek and made part of his philosophical writings.

And what can be more about quality of life than the domestication of one’s own self to his environment? Indeed, it is perhaps a person’s ultimate achievement to be able to come home. To a delightful domestic setting where all can be harmonious.

… When I saw this musician next to the music hall on a rainy day in Vienna, I thought about Cicero’s statement.

He seemed home.

December 29, 2016
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment