Friday, December 2, 2016

Vienna, Austria: City Center



This medieval city is small enough to cover in a day on foot. Yet, there is a museum, a church a café or a sausage stand on every corner. The St. Steven’s cathedral is among the most famous historic monuments in Europe. It is where all ends and all starts. Millions or photos are taken of and around the cathedral every day. For street photographers like me it is not the magnificence of the cathedral that is of interest but the moments people around the world create for a split second. On this trip, I looked for a few such frames.  

The horse and carriage tours of the city are inevitably part of the identity of Vienna’s city center. The sound of hoofs on the cobble stones takes one back in time from morning to late at night. The horses, the cars and the bicycles co-exist peacefully with the incessant flow of walkers. 




I wanted a photo of the cathedral, the horses and the character of the people around them. This Asian tourist and her winter hat and her body posture gave me such a frame. I used a slow speed of 1/30th second with the 50mm lens wide opened to 1.4 to also capture the movement of the passers.



In every crowd, there is always someone who makes a statement. I was not sure what the suggestion was on this woman’s back but it felt reassuring.  



This shot is a typically unexpected one. This parade participant was in front of a diamond store and my first reaction was “does this security guard know about modern weapons?” He was walking briskly and I clicked without framing – just wanted to capture the anachronism of the moment. 


PS/ A visitor to my blog sent me a note saying "It is clear that you are not a fan of Nirvana, although you have another blog dedicated to Zen! "Come as you Are" is the name of their song album.."

True. I did not know that and I have not listened to Nirvana songs before. Until now. Thanks for the comment."

December 2, 2016

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment