Monday, December 12, 2016

Unplanned Positivism


The eye sees what the mind can interpret. And the mind interprets according to the mood of the heart. And the photographer becomes the intersection of mind, mood, and heart.

…It was almost night in the Royal Gardens of Belvedere Palace, Vienna when I saw the raven come down upon the barren branches of these high trees. Somehow, before thinking about the raven, I saw neural connections as branches against the dark sky. Then when the raven sat upon those dendrites, the moment became Kafkaesque.



… A few days later I took night photos of the Christmas Markets and vendors. Today, as I was looking through my negatives, I stopped on this positive moment! It was the lady selling night lights. At first I was not sure why this uneventful shot would get my attention, but then I realized that the lights were like the raven. Just that they were symmetrical and bright! There was order and harmony in this shot, compared to the Edgar Poe’s mood or Kafka’s depressive surrender.



… I had taken two photos, a few days apart to describe a continuum. A positive and attractive one. Full of hope, light and calm.

Without planning.

December 12, 2016

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment