Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Context of an Incomplete Statement




I had spent my day speaking in French, Italian and a bit of Spanish. My brain was hardly “thinking in English” when I stopped next to a store that was being transformed from one fashion store to another. 
The old poster was still on the outside wall, while workers were frantically working inside putting down a new floor and hanging display cabinets.
There was enough light for my old Nikkor 50mm to take a photo opened to f1.4. However it was not the perfect frame of the step ladder and mural poster, but the writing on the wall.

All Is”, it read.

I did not know about the store, so could not tell if it was a logo of sorts belonging to the old store, as was the mural poster. But it also looked like it was written on the wall with a spray can paint. If so, was it a Zen statement?

While I pressed the camera shutter knob, my brain was back to thinking in English… I remembered many decades ago, as a student in secondary school, receiving a comment from my teacher at the end of an essay I had written. He said something like “All is plural and singular. You can say “all is well” or “all of us are well”. You have to be careful about context.”

… So, how does one put an incomplete sentence in context?

It was a delightful moment, as I came up with many ways to complete that sentence while walking along the Danube River.

Yes, it is all about context. That is why I took that photo.

PS/ The photo was taken in Vienna, Austria. When I passed by the store a day later, the mural poster and writing were gone. The wall was repainted and that moment gone forever. Except on my roll of film!

December 21, 2016

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment