Wednesday, May 1, 2013

San Jose and Tortugero National Park







Costa Rica is a country where outdoors sports remain very attractive for tourism. Many of the villages outside of San Jose are rural and do not have paved roads. As a street photographer, I wanted to capture the villages and their dirt roads but needed a story and a context. At one village this young girl walked to me and asked if I would buy the puppy. Not sure if she was serious, although was holding the pup out toward me. "A picture instead to remember your puppy?" I said. Did not have much time for focusing but did get a story, the dirt road, and the village. This was the main road passing through the village and its people.

The two men in the second picture represent the overall jovial attitude from what I have seen, within humble settings. The third picture is more of a pensive one: was the man wondering what he would do if he had wings? This was taken from the inside of the church at the center of a slightly larger village than shown in the first picture. I suppose in Italy it will be called the Duomo...
The fourth picture thematically follows the second one, as at first glance the man seemed standing up in clouds, faceless.
I wanted to take a medium format camera on this trip but was worried that all the harsh travel (hiking, kayaking, frequent rain showers) would damage my favorite Mamiya 645 and Minolta Autocord. So, these were taken with a Yashica 12, which did hold its own.

©Vahé Kazandjian, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment