Saturday, April 27, 2013

Capturing moments not architecture




Streets full of people are where I find the inspiration for my photography. I am an odd-duck in this world of everything digital: my cameras are older than I am, do not have battery, are made of metal, covered with leather, and require a strong neck to carry. Some have twin lenses, others viewfinders so dim that I have to guess what I am looking for. And yes, I use film and develop, print on paper and happily publish or just share my photos after hours in my darkroom.

Most of the pictures are taken during my professional travels for international healthcare. I have been lucky to travel around the globe for three decades, and find a few moments during each visit to grab my camera and walk the streets. I chose a set of pictures from a set of countries I visited to populate this blog as I think these represent my photography style. But this blog is as much a tribute to the golden age of mechanical cameras (1938-1969, in my opinion...) as it is for displaying my street photos.

Let us start with these two lovely ladies from Barcelona, captured with a 1954 Canon rangefinder Model L3. Is there a story she is not telling?
How about these two gentlemen in Bilbao-- for sure they have memories to share.

I wanted to start my blog with those two pictures as they capture the reason why I have pursued only street photography since my teenager years: because I am very curious about what stories people tell with their demeanor and acts.

And I have captured them in black&white only, as I think that gray is sad, and color is a distraction!

If you like my photography, visit my travel stories and essays site vahezen.blogspot.com. I am also a painter and sculptor, and you can see my Southwestern art musings on vaheark.blogspot.com. The photography,essays and paintings mix in harmony on those blogs!

Copyright:  The author of this Blog has the exclusive copyrights to all pictures and text on this site which cannot be duplicated, copied, or used in any fashion or under any circumstance.

©Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2013, 2014 ,2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 ,2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment