Saturday, April 27, 2013

Taipei and Eastern Taiwan






Taiwan, despite being a relatively small island-country, is rich in culture, diversity, scenery, and pace of life. The night market of Taipei is among my favorite spots for long walks and sampling of amazing food at midnight. The East coast of Taiwan is a different world where natural beauties and native tribes coexist in harmony.
The first picture is from Taipei. To me, it is a very "Chinese" picture, especially the trees in the background which seem like clouds or abstract painting.
The second is from a village in the North East of Taiwan, where Aboriginal population still keep traditions intact. This young woman, I was told, had many of the traditional Taiwanese features, and she allowed me to take a portrait of her.
The third picture is from the night market in Taipei. It shows grace and attitude. Mostly, it was a "pushing the limits" test for me as it was taken under light bulb light, always without flash, and with ASA 100 film, camera hand held.
The last picture was taken very early in the morning in front of the Grand Hotel where I often stay. I did not have time to focus, as the moment was to be captured in a split second. I was smiling as I clicked: was the man training the old dog?
The first and third taken with Mamiya 645 medium format camera, while the second and fourth with a 35mm Nikon F4.

©Vahé Kazandjian, 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment