Saturday, April 27, 2013

Lisbon and Porto







Let's go to Portugal.
It is difficult to talk about Portugal without a focus on its Fado. The melancholic blues-type music was my introduction to Portugal in the 1970's when I went to a concert by the Grand Lady of Fado, Amalia Rodrigues. Without understanding the lyrics, I recall the tears and my tight throat.
The first picture is from a Fado dinner In Lisbon. The small restaurant was fully packed and dimly lit. A number of singers shared their emotions with us, and this lady, dressed in black, remains in my mind. I had my trusty Leica IIIF with a fast Jupiter-3 Ukrainian lens. The shadows are captured handheld, lens open to 1.5 and speed 1/15th of a second.
I was having a Ginjinha (sour cherry liqueur) on the main square in Lisbon when I saw a vivid demonstration of "tolerance" as the city is known for. Not sure if the man on the right is shading his face from the sun or the sight of the lady.
The fourth is from Porto, a city I truly love. These are representations of the vessels which carry the grapes to the distilleries to make Port wine.

The third picture was taken with an Olympus OM-1, the fourth with a Rolleiflex SLR and a Rollei Tele Tessar 200mm lens.

©Vahé Kazandjian, 2013


2 comments:

  1. Hello Vahe, excuse my ignorance. I was just wondering, how do you remember what camera, lens and speed you used in each picture. Do you keep a written record, remember it? or you can tell from the developed picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nós estamos Serviços profissionais de fotografia em Lisboa e Encontre-nos para melhor Serviços de Fotografia em Portugal. Se você está procurando um Procuro Fotógrafo Profissional em Lisboa então visite-nos para verificar os nossos serviços.

    ReplyDelete